Pack of Four

Pack of Four
Nightmare, Gabbi, Arme & Kilo

Apr 18, 2011

Doesn't matter why or how you decide to vote, as long as you VOTE!!

I have been interested in politics for as long as I can remember. From watching the news with my parents to taking political science courses in university. Being a social worker, I have seen up close how the personal is political!  I witness everyday how a government policy affects the daily lives of people with disabilities or people with low incomes.  Witnessing this reality, influences how I vote in any election, whether it is federal, provincial, municipal, or Cheif and council band election.   

This doesn't mean I am more informed about the platforms of political parties or that my opinion holds more weight.

When I consider how I make other decisions in my life, for example, about what services to purchase or where I buy groceries, I make my decision based on how I am made to feel at that business.  Is there good customer service? Can I find their business easily?  Are their prices reasonable and do they have a good selection of items?

For a few years, the only reason I gave my business to the service department at a car dealership, was because the service manager was really good looking and we shared the same sense of humour. Now I know the men in my family who know a lot about cars, are cringing if they are reading this.

So for people who don't go through a platform of the various political parties with a fine tooth comb, they should not be made to feel like they are less informed and shouldn't vote.  So if you wanna vote for the candidate that wears the best clothes, has a female leader, or is the candidate with a name you can remember, then that is your choice!

I think with many sources of media coverage about politics, many people are feeling that keeping up is too daunting.  I say, any decision to vote, is the right thing to do! As long as people vote.

I vote because the right for aboriginal people to vote 'with no strings attached' was granted in 1960!  This means for many years my family had no right to vote.  If people think that THEIR right to vote cannot be limited or taken away, just look at what happened at the University of Guelph?  A special ballot was held to allow students to vote on campus and the line-ups were very long.  The Harper government attempted to nullify 700 ballots cast by students.   But the special ballot was held up by Elections Canada.


Please schedule time to go to your nearest polling station and cast a vote!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post! It's true, participation is key. One doesn't need to know all the nooks and crannies.
My motivation for voting is Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaids Tale". After reading that book I found myself galvanized and ready to be present in my right to vote! I fear the day my rights are taken away because apathy won out.
Thanks again for being among the voices that doesn't batter us, but rather makes a sound argument as to why to vote.

The Drinkwaters said...

Hey, can I come with you next time you need your car serviced? ;)

I have always taken voting seriously, and think it is important as women that we get out there and vote.

Many women (White) did not have the right to vote in Canada until 1918. Most women of color did not have this right until the late 1940's, and it wasn't until 1960 when ALL WOMEN, finally including Native women received this fundamental Canadian right.

That old adage..."Use it or lose it" can be applied to many more things than just exercise.