Pack of Four

Pack of Four
Nightmare, Gabbi, Arme & Kilo

Jul 8, 2010

Composting in the Okanagan!

A great friend of mine, Sheila inspired me to get involved with an idea to start a regional composting program!  Tonight I did a search about ideas of what is currently done regionally about composting, here are some links I found to begin with:

Go natural garden parties
Community Composting Program in Victoria

Biodegradeable Compostable Bags!

Go Natural Booklet 

Compost Using Office Shreddings

Black Gold

 http://www.composting101.com/


I really like the Go natural booklet, it has a wide variety of information about local issues and change that can be made!!  There are plans to build your own composting system, I hope this isn't too intimidating.  A compost bin can be really simple.  Here are some books & products about composting that are great!



















2 comments:

T said...

Cool! I wish there was someone composting where I live too. I know it sounds strange but I find soil to be really interesting. I watched a documentry a few years ago in school and the one thing I remember that amazed me was that there can be up to 10,000 species of bacteria in just a teaspoon of soil! Isn't that crazy?

Gabbi Hockman said...

Most people think soil is just dirt, but it is a living jungle!

I have set out a blue garbage can in my front yard for compost from friends that want somewhere to drop it off! I will even supply compostable bags to make it easier for people!

I'm also going to start taking the shredding home from work for my compost. I wish I could get lots of newspaper (black & white pages), it makes great mulch.

Composting is amazing. Last weekend I weeded half of my garden, and left the weeds in the paths of my garden. I went out there today, and it was reduced down to nothing! Just looked like a few scraps of dead grass and weeds. It is basically what they call sheet composting.

Tomorrow I hope to get some energy in this heat, to get more bark mulch from up the hill. My raspberries & currants love the mulch. I also need to cover the weeds at the back of the garden along the fence. I want to get that part of the garden ready for next year, for a strawberry patch! The more compost and mulch materials I can get the better!