Pack of Four

Pack of Four
Nightmare, Gabbi, Arme & Kilo

Jun 27, 2010

Drowning out most of the experience...

I realized yesterday as I weeded my garden with my MP3 player playing in my ears, how much of an experience is drowned out by an MP3! I realized without being able to hear the sound of the weeding ripping out of the soil, there wasn`t as much satisfaction. Usually I can use weeding as way of relieving stress, but without hearing the weeds being ripped out, it wasnt as satisfying. This got me curious about other things I am missing out on when I am listening to my music... I will keep people posted. Let me know if you are missing out on things because of your music player.

2 comments:

T said...

I realized the same thing today! I was taking Champa for a walk along the river and was listening to my iPod when she started to pull on the leash in an attempt to chase a gopher. I turned it off for a minute and realized that I was missing out on a very peaceful walk as I was away from the trafic and could only hear the birds and river flowing. It made me realize how much of a habit it was to assume that I need to have music on whenever I am walking or driving anywhere by myself.

- Thriza

Gabbi Hockman said...

Yeah, its crazy how we drown out things. Our other senses are working, but if we don't use them all it leaves a gap in the experience. Tonight when I was walking the dogs, i was struck by what a wonderful combination the smell the rain in the forest and sound of the rain hitting the leaves and thumping of the dogs running, was so enjoyable!