Pack of Four

Pack of Four
Nightmare, Gabbi, Arme & Kilo

Jun 21, 2010

Masters is completed, what is my identity now?

As I frame my Masters degree and put the finishing touches on my first article to be published, I reflect on my new identity, the domesticated academic. The balance of education, home, work, four dogs, and a social life has increased my awareness of the connectivity of various roles and identities one person can navigate. While many people focus on their professional roles and accolades. For example, I am registered social worker, executive director of a non profit agency, and a have a masters of arts degree. These titles, are just that, titles that come with a bunch of expectations. They do not really provide a clear illustration of who I am as a person.

I have met many other people, mostly women, who struggle with aspects of identity. Imposter complex plagues many women. It is through my blog I hope to provide some insight from my personal and professional journey related to discovering my current identity. I hope to learn about other people and identity struggles, including men.

I will also share highlights about my professional life as an executive director and being a dog lover, with four dogs, the oldest seven years old and the other three, all thirteen monthes old.

1 comment:

The Drinkwaters said...

I always knew you were a symbolic interactionist at heart!